Monday, August 31, 2009

Room makeover for under $200

1 gallon of red paint - $13
1 curtain rod - $4 (40% off at JoAnns)
2 brass stars - $16 (50% off at Roberts)
4 baskets - $30
4 body pillows - $40
4 sheet of transfer tape - $10
8 yards of denim - $35 (50% off at JoAnns)
14 sheets of vinyl - $40

What do you do with a room with blue carpet and a red rug? An Americana theme of course!


I had never thought I would do an American themed room. It just seemed so overdone. Then I moved in a house with blue carpet.

After being here for 5 months and pondering the decor I decided to do the American theme with a twist. I had just done the older girls room with vinyl and loved the ease and look. The large wall in the basement was just begging for large 12" letters. United we Stand fit the theme and looks great with the kids pictures.


I painted the wall behind the entertainment center red as an accent,


added a blue and yellow star border on the overhang,



found a blue clock from a different room and added the saying Liberty underneath.


My sister helped by sewing the curtain and covering the body pillows in denim. These will become cushions after I make benches next week. I will 2 - 10 make the benches for u


I love the look!

A few tips I learned:

1. when painting red be sure to cover the floor entirely first! (red paint is very hard to get out of light blue carpet)

2. When hanging pictures and you discover your ceiling is not strait just alternate the height of the pictures so you can't tell if anything is not even.

3. To help align vinyl letters straight tape down ribbon or yarn across the wall as a guide.
4. If letters are not perfectly straight add images such as the blue stars to guide your eye across the word and take the focus off the straight part.

5. If you cannot get your connected word straight it is ok to cut part of it and then overlap the cut parts (I did this 2 times on the word Liberty and you cannot tell)

6. Have everything you need before y0u start. It is slightly dissapointing to start the border and get halfway done only to realize at 9:30pm that you will be 2 sheets of vinyl short of being able to finish the blue stars.

4 comments:

  1. Great job - love the patriotic theme !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE, LOVE this room. I am so glad you shared your blog, I am adding it to my favorites. :-)


    Cece

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!!! Come decorate my house!

    ReplyDelete