Sunday, November 1, 2009

Benches



It only took 2 months to finish the benches!

First let me say I don't do power tools so I had to depend on my husband. And did I mention he doesn't do power tools either! Yeah this was a fun experiment as we are not handy people.

First we had to make a plan. I wanted sturdy benches out of 2x4's. Then we had to go to Home Depot to get the wood. Our math skills were tested as we were making 4 benches which meant 12 pieces for the tops, 8 legs, braces and then stain for the wood.

After several hours we had our wood all cut.

Then it was time to stain the wood. What a project! We had to do 2 layers on each side waiting 24 hours between coats and then a week between each side as the weather was cool the stain was not drying very quickly. I highly recommend doing a project like this in warmer weather.


Once the pieces were stained my hubby pre-drilled the holes.

Finally it was time to assemble. We built the legs first and then laid out the tops and screwed the legs to the top. Braces were added and we were done!

The benches are sturdy and will work great. I am not thrilled with my stain job but for my first project it works! I love that they are movable so I can use them around a table for large family gatherings.

No comments:

Post a Comment